Covid-19 pandemic has led to a lot of uncertainty and has hugely impacted people's lives. All of us have been facing overwhelming emotions that might be stressful. Therefore, it becomes important to pay attention to our mental well-being apart from physical health and wellness. Just as physical health helps our bodies to stay strong, mental fitness plays a crucial role in achieving a state of good mental well-being. This helps individuals to cope up stressful times, prevent any mental illness, and manage physical health in a better way.
Importance of Mental Health
How to Manage Mental Health
The three most crucial ways to improve mental fitness are - to get physically fit, eat right, and manage stress well.
Be Physically Active
Exercises are an energetic way to enhance our physical as well as mental fitness. So an individual indulging in any form of physical exercise also helps himself in building positive mental strength. Research has found that regular physical activity emerges as effective as psychotherapy for treating mild to moderate depression. Exercise also helps to decrease anxiety levels. Many studies conclude that people who exercise report feeling less stressed or nervous. Even five minutes of simple aerobic exercise such as step class, swimming, and walking can help to reduce any feeling of anxiety. Exercising can also help to enhance self-esteem.
Making the right nutritional choices can have a powerful impact on our mental health. Eating less fresh products and consumption of saturated fats and sugars, including pesticides, additives, and trans-fats, prevents the brain from functioning well. Diet supplies the vitamins and minerals which are important for brain function. The deficiency of vitamins can lead to depression and can cause mood swings, anxiety, agitation, and a host of other physical illnesses. Mental healthcare providers point out that good eating habits are essential for optimizing the effectiveness of important of mental illnesses. A well-balanced diet that comprises of fresh fruits and vegetables, food highly rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and whole grains are beneficial for good mental health.
People have been hoping for stress-free existence however, apart from happy moments in our lives, stress is also very much a part of our lives. Hence it is important to manage stress well. Chronic stress has debilitating effects on an individual's overall health, and it may lead to anxiety, anger, and fear.
Learning how to get through with stress effectively can ease the body and mind. Meditation and relaxation techniques help to reduce the negative impact of stress.
Tips to trigger the relaxation response:
1. Learn relaxation techniques - Practice meditation and breathing exercises regularly. This can ease chronic stress and realign your life in a more positive way. Good breathing habits alone can improve both psychological and physical well-being.
2. Set realistic goals - Assess the schedule and identify tasks or activities that an individual can or should let go.
3. Exercise - Regular and moderate exercise helps to relieve tension, improve sleep quality and self-esteem.
4. Enjoy yourself - Taking some time for a favorite hobby is a beautiful way of nurturing a creative self.
5. Talk about it - Sharing your troubles and issues with a friend or family can help a person feel better and relaxed. Talking to a family member or a close friend also helps in effective management of stress.